Gum health is a foundational aspect of dental care, and untreated gum disease can lead to significant health concerns. At Hover Dental Group, our dentist and skilled team are at the forefront of diagnosing and treating gum disease, ensuring your gums are as healthy as your teeth.
Understanding Gum Disease
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a common but preventable condition that affects the tissues supporting your teeth. It is typically caused by bacteria from plaque buildup and can range from simple gum inflammation (gingivitis) to more severe disease (periodontitis), which can lead to tooth loss. Signs you may have gum disease include:
- Bleeding Gums: This is often one of the first signs, especially during brushing or flossing
- Redness and Swelling: Gums may become red, swollen and tender
- Bad Breath: Persistent bad breath can be a sign of infected gums
- Receding Gums: Gums may recede or pull away from the teeth
- Tooth Mobility: Teeth may become loose due to weakened gum and bone structures
What to Expect During Treatment
During gum disease treatment in Longmont, Colorado, you can expect a thorough and compassionate approach tailored to your specific condition. The treatment usually begins with a detailed assessment of your gum health, including measurements of any gum pockets and checks for signs of inflammation or bone loss.
Depending on the severity of your gum disease, treatment may involve deep cleaning techniques like scaling and root planing, which gently remove plaque and tartar buildup beneath the gum line. If necessary, we might also recommend medicated rinses, antibiotic therapy or laser treatment to effectively manage the infection and promote healing.
Benefits of Gum Disease Treatment
Timely treatment of gum disease is crucial for:
- Halting Disease Progression: Early care can prevent gum disease from worsening
- Preserving Teeth: Proper treatment reduces the risk of tooth and bone loss
- Enhancing Overall Health: Gum health is linked to systemic health issues, like cardiovascular disease
- Improving Quality of Life: Alleviates symptoms such as discomfort and halitosis, boosting confidence and daily comfort
Commit to Healthy Gums
If you suspect you might have gum disease, or to prevent it altogether, reach out to us at 303-684-9777 to schedule a thorough examination with Dr. Casey Kochevar. We are dedicated to providing personalized care to return your gums to health and maintain your radiant smile.